Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reine De Saba (Chocolate and Almond Cake)


After being placed on the waiting list for several months, it was finally my turn to borrow Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking from the public library. I went straight to the dessert section and remembered seeing this cake made by Julia Powell in the Julie Julia movie and it being described as "really good."
Surprisingly simple to prepare and very good. Having all the ingredients already in my pantry made it even better. The only thing I omitted was the 1/3 C of pulverized almonds that was to be stirred into the batter. I sprinkled a few on individual servings.
This cake is baked for only 25 minutes which explains the slightly underdone center. The chocolate butter icing creates a fudgelike quality. Not a typical chocolate cake but still delicious and even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment