Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chicken Katsu


I tell anyone new to our islands to try a plate lunch. Besides shave ice, lau lau, and spam musubi, it is a local favorite. I remember being away for college and having the worst craving for a Diner's chicken katsu. Unfortunately, plate lunch katsu is laden with fat and cholesterol but so ono. I have found a healthier version without losing taste and substance. Instead of chicken thigh, I use chicken breast, split in half and pounded to 1/ 4 " thickness. I dip it into a flour, water, egg, salt and pepper mixture and then press into the panko. Fry it in vegetable oil 3-4 minutes on each side.
I don't like to brag but my katsu is better than Diner's and just as good as the one we can find at the famous saimin haven whose friendly cook was kind enough to share her recipe with me. Light, crunchy, and flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment