Sunday, March 14, 2010

Choi Sum with Garlic Bean Sauce




I've always picked the flowers off the choi sum thinking it would be too bitter to eat but the Laotian vendors told me some customers won't even buy it if there were no flowers. I rushed home to cook some and to see if there was a difference in taste with the bright yellow flowers.
This recipe came from watching my father create a delectable dish with such simple ingredients. Melt butter and cook the stalks of the choi sum to soften, add chopped onions, and garlic. Mix in the leafy parts of the choi sum with garlic bean and oyster sauces. Cook for another minute and serve immediately.
Anna and I loved it. It was delicious and made you feel good eating it-nutritious, light, and filling. I finally realized I often overdid the onion, garlic and oyster sauces when I made this dish. It yielded a too overwhelming taste. I must remember that less is more.
What a great day! Anna and I had a delicious lunch, talked about food, and shared our desserts with a cup of tea. Daddy came home from an epic day of surfing and took us to Sand Island. A stroll on the beach built up an appetite for Grandpa's cooking which we enjoyed for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment