Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blueberry Scone


It was pure elation when I bit into a blueberry scone and LOVED it! I'm beginning to realize that maybe a life of less sugar isn't so bad. Now that I have a pantry stocked with vegan products baking from the cookbook Babycakes is not as daunting as I thought it would be. What's even better is the process; it's so easy!
Whisked 2 C whole spelt flour, baking powder, and salt then added the 1/3 C coconut oil, 1/3 C agave nectar and 1 T vanilla. Stirred until a thick, slightly dry batter was formed and I thought, "This does not look good!" I then realized I needed to pour 1/4 C of hot water into the batter. The recipe called for raspberries but blueberries were on sale for and I am not a huge fan of raspberries. I halfed the recipe using 1/2 C of fresh blueberries and 1/2 C of vegan chocolate chips. Measured 1/4 C of batter instead of the recommended 1/3 C onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly brushed the tops with coconut oil. Baked in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 7 minutes, rotated and baked for 9 more minutes. Removed from oven and brushed with agave nectar.
My brother in law Rick and I couldn't wait for the 15 minutes to cool, we gobbled them up and agreed that healthy, sugar free desserts can be delicious. Scones were tasty, light, and with a satisfying texture. The blueberry scones rated higher but Scott loved them both.

1 comment:

  1. I loved them and the kids did too (They'll never know they were sugar free). Perfect scones for tea-time!

    ReplyDelete