Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lemon-Poppy Teacake



This cake was a bust! Don't blame the recipe, blame me! I did everything a baker is not supposed to do-bake in a rush, bake with ingredients not at room temperature, and using a pan with the wrong dimensions.
I fell in love with Whole Foods' spice section-bottles of exotic spices were simply gorgeous! Rushed home after a hectic morning of church, farmer's market, and Anna's Sunday school to bake a loaf for Superbowl Sunday dessert. I know, I know teacake doesn't sound like a dessert you would want to have while you watch football but I just HAD to use my bottle of poppy seeds.
Batter did not expand after adding the poppy seed mixture of rice milk, vinegar, and poppy seeds and batter looked too runny. Everything did not seem right. After baking for 35 minutes, cake was still soft in the center and toothpick did not come out clean when inserted. Finally took cake out after baking for 8 more minutes. Edges were brown and crispy and center was still not completely done.
Erin, the owner of Babycakes Bakery in NYC warned that I may botch a batch and I surely botched this one but she also advised that "mistakes only make success all the more delicious" and I vow to redeem myself with a delicious teacake next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment