Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Roasted Pasta Sauce



After a trip to the farmer's market, my kitchen was full of vegetables begging to be eaten-tomatoes, zucchini, sweet pepper, and onion. Roasting the vegetables really brings out the sweetness. Chopped the vegetables, drizzled with olive oil and roasted at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Then, stirred and cooked on low heat until thickened. Served over pasta with a garnish of fresh basil.
I have been practicing yoga for 9 years and am trying to incorporate ahimsa, the yogic principle of nonharming into my life. Surprisingly, Anna asked for a day of no meat and I thought what better way to start. According to Yoga Journal, "this kind of shift in awareness about the connection between what's on your plate and its impact on the world around you is common when you commit to a regular yoga practice." I don't plan to become a vegetarian but Anna and I are committed to giving up a meat at least one day per week. According to Carnegie Mellon University, "choosing to eat a plant based diet rather than meat just one day per week would reduce greenhouse gas emissions." We want to do our part in saving our environment.
I didn't even miss meat with this dish. The blend of fresh vegetables, herbs, and slow roasting created a dish full of flavor, texture, and color.

1 comment:

  1. Great Idea! Have you seen Food Inc? I highly recommend it

    ReplyDelete