Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sole Meuniere


Mahi mahi was on sale and there was no sole to be bought anywhere on the island. I vowed to make this dish when I read about Julia Child savoring this meal with her husband Paul at Restaurant La Couronne in Rouen, France. I swear I could taste the fish the way Julia described it.
I've disappointed Julia. There is no way mine looked like Ina's recipe from her gorgeous cookbook Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics-golden brown, flakey fillet. Ina even mentioned the slightly burnt butter flavor you're supposed to get. Instead of slightly burnt, I achieved burnt. Oh well...the lemon zest and juice and fresh parsley saved the day. The fish was edible but far from the way Julia described her first lunch in France as "absolute perfection" and the most exciting meal of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment