Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes


My cousin Rose always asks for Red Velvet cupcakes. In honor of her 43rd birthday, I baked a batch. It is common for these to be served as the groom's cake at southern weddings. We're not from the South but I do love southern things-BBQ,Gone with the Wind, and Kip Pardue-(so HOT as quarterback Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass in the film Remember the Titans).

The recipe instructs you to whisk cake flour, cocoa powder, and salt but I recommend you to sift them together to get rid of the lumps from the cocoa. You can never go wrong with Italian Pernigotti cocoa powder-expensive but so worth it. It gives me an excuse to make a trek to Ala Moana's William and Sonoma. I always purchase at least 3 cans because they always run out. I had too much canola oil on hand, so I substituted canola for vegetable oil. No problems encountered. Batter is wet, so I had to use a ladle to fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Baked for 16 minutes instead of the recommended 20 minutes. Remember, once you insert a cake tester and it comes out clean, it's done. Plus, cakes continue to cook in pan when you remove from oven.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
This has always been my favorite frosting! Make sure butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. Also, sift powdered sugar to make the process easier and enjoyable. I used a fancy pastry tip to frost the cupcake, to make them even more special for Rose. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment