Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yellow Buttermilk Cupcake


Very easy to make! Does not require fancy ingredients and very straightforward. Did not have a WOW factor for me, but Anna thought it was scrumptious! This comes from a girl who is picky about her desserts. She rarely eats her mom's homemade treats and prefers crappy, store bought sweets, and discards the frosting off any cake. Maybe because yellow cakes have never been my favorite and I need more umph in a dessert, this cupcake did not deliver.
I usually get in a zone when I bake and require silence and solitude but my good friend Sally came to visit and I actually could bake AND be part of a conversation. Watch out Martha Stewart, I'll be hosting my own baking segment soon. This recipe makes a lot of cupcakes and is recommended if you have a large number of people to feed.
Used my reliable sieve for both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. I don't know anyone in this day and age who uses a sifter. I was lucky to find cake flour on sale at Star Market for $3.75 a box. Otherwise, I pay close to $5 per box in paradise. I am constantly on the lookout for sale ingredients and buy most staples from Costco such as butter, extra large eggs, and sugar. Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa, (a kitchen goddess) says she always uses extra large eggs even if the recipe calls for large eggs. You get slightly more egg per dollar than any other size and her assistant claims her baking got better. I greeted Magnolia, my pink Kitchen Aid Mixer before starting the recipe and began to cream butter and sugar.
I just love the sound of butter and sugar being mixed, so sensual. Baked for 10 minutes, rotated, then baked for 7 more minutes.
Fluffy Vanilla Frosting:
So simple with only 3 ingredients and honestly too sweet for me!

3 comments:

  1. This seemed a bit more like the traditional cupcake, but soooo much tastier than the store bought variety. Last night Henry said "This is so good," or at least that is what I thought I understood through the crumbs and chewing mouthful. This was his favorite so far. He ate two last night, and he is not that big a fan of desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I, Sally, the friend that was distracting the baker, ate one cupcake w/out frosting b/c I just started back on Jenny Craig on Monday! It was light, moist and hit the spot!! However, I must confess that after going to the mall and getting a mani/pedi and then heading to Costco... I couldn't stand it any more and ate one w/icing. OMG... now that was the best. The icing wasn't too sweet and the whole messy experience (I couldn't get it out of the box fast enough)was to die for!!
    Thanks Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to agree with Anna and say they were "Scrumptious!". They reminded me of Magnolia's cupcakes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete