Sunday, August 9, 2009

Apple Turnover


I craved something sweet and was too lazy to bake. Anna and I had a date since dad was out surfing. We ordered a plate lunch and went to Napoleon's Bakery for dessert. She ordered a chocolate donut and I got an apple turnover. It satisfied my sweet tooth but I realized I could make one just as good. I turned to the Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics cookbook.
Frozen puff pastry from the grocery store is expensive ($7.19 a box for 2 sheets of pastry) but you can whip up a simple, elegant dessert in no time! Be sure to keep pastry sheets chilled to facilitate the rolling , folding, and crimping process. Toss apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and place about 1/3 cup of mixture into a cut out pastry square. Fold pastry diagonally, seal and press edges of pastry with the fork tine. After completing one, I had to step back and admire its beauty. When it was done baking it looked even more gorgeous-puffed up, golden brown from the egg wash, and just simply elegant.

2 comments:

  1. I used to bake those 'apple napples' all those years while working at Zippy's! Have a look at this amazingly beautiful (and portable) cupcakery: http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/08/enjoy-cupcakes.html#more-30542

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the Julie Julia movie yet? Loved it! My next booktalk will by the book. Wish you could come.

    ReplyDelete