Friday, October 23, 2009

Chocolate Crackles



Don't expect me to sit around and do nothing on furlough Friday. No better way to spend the day than baking and hanging out with friends. My sweet neighbor Ms. Wanda taught crafts to Anna, Swasi, and Namari while I baked a batch of these cookies. I prepared the dough last night with every intentiion of baking it, but was too exhausted after kickboxing class. Thus, the dough was left in the refrigerator overnight instead of 2 hours which I think helped it to retain the shape of 1 inch balls after being rolled in sugar and confectioners'sugar.
I only had 4 oz. of bittersweet chocolate so I added another 4 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips. You will rarely find me dashing off to buy one ingredient for a recipe because I make do with what I have. Melted both over a pan of simmering water and waited to cool. Sifted flour, Pernigotti cocoa powder, baking powder, and kosher salt. Continued the easy recipe by beating butter and brown sugar with a hand mixer because was too lazy to clean Magnolia. Mixed in eggs, vanilla, and melted chocolate then flour mixture alternating with milk. I don't know anyone in this health conscious world that drinks whole milk, so low fat milk had to do. Rolled 1 inch balls first in granulated sugar then confectioners' sugar and baked for 7 min. at 350, rotated, then baked for 7 more.

Teachers agreed to 17 furlough days and many are angry and hurt, but I looked at this as an opportunity to spend more time baking and blogging.

1 comment:

  1. I think these chocolate cracklesls are like the best cookies because they taste good and look pretty. ANNA

    ReplyDelete