Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fall Break in San Francisco





No, I have not abandoned the blog and let down my followers. I didn't even know I had followers until my sister Judy in Arizona says she misses my blog. How sweet! The end of the first semester was hectic with persuasive essays and finals to administer and correct. Helping Scott prepare for his annual surf trip and getting over the guilt as I prepare to send Anna off to my parents while I go on a much needed break did not give me the time and energy to bake. My friend offers a free trip during fall break while Scott is in Bali. Do I stay home and clean the house and begin planning the To Kill a Mockingbird unit or do I run off with my girlfriend to my most favorite city in the whole world? Decisions, decisions...as you can see I chose the trip! The weather was gorgeous, the food was unbelievable, and the company was truly a joy!
Kayleen and I caught the red eye and arrived in San Francisco in time to have breakfast at Zazie on Cole Street where I always order the Walnut French Toast stuffed with bananas. James, our good friend's baby brother became our guide and food partner as he drove us around the city and paralleled parked his car into the tightest spaces-very impressive.
I made sure to visit all 3 Miette stores-confisserie and patisserie in Hayes Valley, the Marina district and the Ferry Building. Not only is the store beautiful but the desserts are just gorgeous, you don't want to eat them. Only the best organic ingredients are used to create their masterpieces.
My neice Tricia advised me to visit the newest macaroon store Paulette in Hayes Valley. Macaroons are not my favorite kind of cookies because they are labor and time intensive to make. We all voted the passion fruit as our favorite and rose as the least favorite.
Drank what I believe is the best hot chocolate at the Blue Bottle Coffee Company in Hayes Valley while devouring macaroons.
What a pleasant discovery to find the King Tut exhibit at the DeYoung. And an even bigger find, a real treasure buried deep in the Mission District, at the end of the fabled El Dorado, La Taqueria, exquisite comida de Mexico. One order of chips and salsa was not enough. One order of guacamole was not enough. Everything is made fresh and the burritos are pure meaty goodness.

Kara's Cupcakes, my favorite place for a cupcake. The Chocolate Peanut Butter is so good, it just melts in your mouth. They are so delicious that before leaving SF, Kay and I returned for a box to take home. Owner uses only organic ingredients from the Bay Area.

I live to eat and I made sure to take advantage of the excellent cuisine of the Bay Area. We dined at Baretta's (Italian food), Burma Supertstar (Burmese food), dim sum
on Clement, Town Hall in the Financial district, and Japanese food on Geary. Before departing we even made a quick detour to Darby's, famous for its sandwiches.
This trip to my favorite city reminded me why I started the blog, it is the food and the sweets, and the sharing.

3 comments:

  1. that's all we did too. eat eat eat......oh and shop. i didn't eat a cupcake from Kara's. i jus love to look at um so i took some pictures. there was another cupcake place in union square that we saw. next year for jac's grad i'll show u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Finally a post from your SF trip! Will always miss eating my way through my old hometown.

    ReplyDelete