Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Pie





Since I can't live on the mainland, then the mainland will be brought to me! Aloun Farms in Ewa invites the public every fall to pick your own pumpkins. We never had this kind of opportunity growing up in Hawaii. Picking your own fruits was only available to people who had the trees in their backyards. Today was not a cool, fall day typical on the mainland, but a sweltering, viciously humid day in paradise.
Instead of resting after a fun filled morning, I began to defrost pie crust dough and assemble all the ingredients to Martha's pumpkin pie to celebrate my love of pumpkins.
This recipe is so simple I don't know why more people don't make their own pies. After blind baking my pate brise and cooling completely on wire rack, I whisked 1 1/2C of canned pumpkin puree, yes canned because if you have the time, energy, and sanity to first find a sugar pumpkin, cut sides down, roast in a 400 degree oven, scoop out flesh and puree in a food processor be my guest, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, egges and evaporated milk until combined. That's it! Poured mixture into cooled crust and baked for 43 min at 350.
This pie was unbelievably delicious; it was gone in a day. My days of buying Napoleon's Bakery pumpkin pies are over.

1 comment:

  1. It was SO HOT! My first Pumpkin Patch Ever. Thanks for telling us about it.
    (I'm still not baking so we got a mediocre Costco Pumpkin Pie)

    ReplyDelete