Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Baked Caprese Salad and Lasagna



My love of baking has ignited an interest in cooking. I was not encouraged to cook because growing up I thought, "Why cook when I already have my dad who can cook anything and everything!" I also realized I like to cook and entertain for small, I stress small dinner parties.
The baked caprese salad is an appetizer sure to please vegetarians and meat eaters. It's a great way to use up leftover baguettes and basil from my herb garden which is growing like crazy.
Sliced baguette into 1/ 2" slices and arrange in a single layer on baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and bake in oven for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Remove and place tomato and fresh mozarella slices on baguette and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Baked for 5 minutes. Remove and place a basil leaf on top of each bagueete and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
Lasagna can be expensive to make but if you stock up on ingredients when they are on sale the cost is minimal. Scott and I had a romantic dinner date the Olive Cafe in Wahiawa. Their delicious lasagna motivated me to do some recipe searching and tweaking to come up with my homemade version. My Scott thinks it is unreal and I assume Daly's Scott liked it because he had 2 servings. What an incredible evening of tasty food, excellent wine, scintillating conversation, and company we would love to have over again.

1 comment:

  1. What a privilege to be the guests at this feast! This is the best lasagna and caprese salad I have had since I was in Italy. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete