Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup


My Anna woke up with sniffles and what would her make her feel better than a hot bowl of her mommy's chicken noodle soup. Studies have proven that having chicken noodle soup when you are sick accelerates the recovery time. A UCLA doctor found that chicken soup contains an amino acid chemically similar to those in a drug used for bronchitis and respiratory infections. Colds often lead to dehydration and a lack of appetiteand and what better way to get liquid back into the system!
It's great when you have everything in your pantry to whip up a pot of soup that costs little to nothing. Cooked chopped onions and garlic in a pot of heated olive oil until onions are translucent. Added chopped carrots and celery with salt and pepper and cooked for about 8 minutes. Added 4 cans of low sodium chicken stock and waited to boil. Mixed in a can of flaky chicken breast seasoning with more salt and pepper and cooked for 5 minutes. Added noodles and cooked for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Sprinkled fresh flat leaf parsley and seasoned to taste.
I never realized the importance of seasoning until I started making soup. I don't like to taste my food while cooking but soup is an exception. The Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten advises to use a good amount of seasoning especially salt or your soup will taste like dishwater.
Anna woke up the next morning sniffle free. Could it have been the soup or could it have been a rubbing of good ole Vicks vapor rub on her chest last night while she slept? I grew up never going to the doctor for illness because my parents relied on Vicks and a can of 7Up to cure anything from coughing, to a mosquito bite, to a sprained ankle. I could be lying dead after being hit by a car and my parents would probably say, "Rub some Vicks and give her some7Up and she'll feel better!" Maybe a bowl of chicken noodle soup could bring me back alive too!

No comments:

Post a Comment