Saturday, July 18, 2009

Carrot-Ginger Cupcake


My fascination with ginger continues. I wanted a special cupcake to highlight my book talk for Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray and this cupcake fit the bill. Recipe is found in Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook and so worth to give a try. It calls for only 1 tablespoon of grated, peeled ginger and what a world of difference that makes. The fresh ginger intensifies the flavor making this cupcake unforgettable.
Be sure to toast nuts and cool completely before adding to batter. Whisked all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then added to the wet ingredients. Batter was mixed with an ordinary, reliable whisk. Recipe instructs you to grate carrots using a box grater. Who has the time and energy to do that? I just shredded the carrots in a food processor which took all of 10 seconds! Baked for 10 minutes, rotated pans, and baked for 9 more.
Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting:

Everyone loved the frosting! I first thought 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of ginger would be a little much but it just put the cupcake over the top! Don't even think of omitting the 3/4 teaspoon of grated orange zest.
Being in the company of 3 smart women inspires me to continue trying new recipes, new adventures, and new reads! Thank you Daly, Maha, and Sally!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Carol how do I get the recipe for the Carrot Ginger Cupcake? My friend Jodi wants one & her baby wants one too. I may also make these for her baby shower which won't be for a couple of months so I may need to practice making them a couple of times before then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cupcake is Scott's favorite! It's found in Martha's new baking handbook. I'll make a copy for you and send with the girls. Make sure to use fresh ginger and don't skimp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for putting together this event and bringing these amazing cupcakes. The full amount of Ginger really made all the difference. I wish I would have processed the carrots when I made them instead of laboring forever with the grater (No wonder I don't want to bake!). I am honored to share this journey with you. You are truly a Kindred Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrot-Ginger cupcake was awesome. I nornally don't care for carrot cake cuz it's made with carrots (and that's just too healthy (: ) but this cupcake was so ono it seemed to just disappear...one bite at a time! Before long it was all done and I longed for more : )
    Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete